About Holberton School
Holberton is a revolutionary new type of software engineering school that "has no teachers, no lectures, and no upfront tuition" (Fast Company) and "helps inexperienced programmers land jobs at Apple" (CNN). It is not only disrupting the education landscape; it is literally changing the face of Silicon Valley. While the rest of the technology ecosystem struggles with diversity, Holberton school is 40 percent female and 53 percent minority (New York Times). We are driven by a passion to enable people all over the world from all walks of life to learn how to code. The Business Development team plays an important role in this mission. With 4 campuses live (San Francisco, CA, New Haven, Connecticut in the US, and Bogota and Medellin in Colombia) we’re only just getting started.
The engineering team at Holberton focuses on building tools to drive the mission of the school: quality, accessibility and scale.
Everyday we are building features for students that are both innovative and conducive to their learning. Since our learning model is project and peer-learning based, novel automated software is key to our companies success.
For example, our correction system is grading hundreds of thousands of lines of code each day, managing all potential edge cases and in various languages.
Another example is our “Docker containers on-demand” service - we are providing to students a web interface for getting a custom pre-configured Docker containers - no need to spend time installing X Y Z frameworks, students can focus on their learning only.
Are you still reading this job description? If you want to know "How you do it"? - please come visit our San Francisco campus, 972 Mission street and we will give you a tour, and a coffee/tea/water.
"It's a school but without teachers?" Yes! As you can see, we are software driven - every task without humain value will be automated.
To be honest: We are a crazy team - we are all passionate by our mission - and no, we are not working 24/7! Don't worry, we have a pretty good life balance.
Haaa let's be technical - here some technologies used - of course it's not the entire list, but here the main one:
- Ruby & Rails
Really? still here? please come talk with us, you will probably learn more about the school, the team and how we do stuff better than in a job description page.
What a typical week may look like at Holberton School
- Define, architect, and implement applicants, students or staff facing features
- Collaborate with Curriculum, Admission, Marketing and Expansion to design new product ideas
- Solve challenging and complex engineering problems
What we value in a Software Engineer
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- A strong communicator who can quickly pickup new concepts and domains
- A skilled problem solver well-versed in considering and making technical tradeoffs
- Experience building and delivering critical enterprise level solutions
- Proficiency using Ruby
- Test driven
- Experience integrating with enterprise applications
- Experience creating, maintaining, and operating microservices
- Experience in education and/or B2B applications
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
Note: we do NOT require that you have a CS degree. If you have one, good for you, if you don't have any degree at all, good for you too :)